April 30, 2007

Music In the Pastor's Study: A Theological Conundrum

Ever since my high school days, when I would thrown on a pair of headphones as I scrawled away on my Algebra, I have enjoyed listening to music as I work. This habit continued through all of my schooling...I would often place a handful of CDs and my headphones in my bag on my way up the library to type seminary papers. I find that it helps me think to have something in the background. If the deadline is approaching, it is nice to have some more mellow, relaxing music in the background (nothing better than "Kind of Blue" to convince you that 20 pages can, in fact, happen in the next 12 hours)...if motivation is a problem, a more upbeat selection often helps (My last Hebrew paper was made possible by an energy infusion via Led Zeppelin III). I still enjoy listening to music when I am at home writing my sermons...those old habits continuing on today. I like God...I like writing...I like my job...and I like music.

But a question has presented itself recently, one that I have visited before at the other churches I have worked at: What can you listen to at church? What is considered appropriate?

I currently have a small CD player here in the office, and I keep four CDs here at work permanently. They are: "The best of Pavarotti," "Tchaikovsky: Greatest Hits," "Copland: Greatest Hits," and "Debussy: Compositions For Piano." In other words, four classical CDs that I enjoy very much and help soothe/inspire as I write. They aren't the greatest in the world, grant you, but I like them. There is only one catch.

I've been listening to them for eight months straight now.

Sure, I've brought in other classical CDs from our collection at home, but these are "The Rotation." The administrative assistant likes them...I like them...and (above all else) they haven't raised any congregational eyebrows. I keep looking at Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, and Duke Ellington...and I can't help thinking in the back of my head: "Boy...Miles Davis did a whole whole whole whole whole whole whole lot of drugs. Wonder if I should take him to church."

Why don't I do this with other CDs? Surely somebody in the orchestra playing "Fanfare for the Common Man" had some problems...plus, have your read any biographies on composers? And it's not like Miles' CDs are titled "Drugs are Great!!" and "The Church is Dead!" It's flowing, beautiful, instrumental jazz. Spectacular stuff. But I still haven't brought it.

And this doesn't even crack my CDs that have lyrics. There are several CDs that I would listen to (and have listened to) in front of parishioners...but I still don't bring them to work. I brought the new Bruce Hornsby/Ricky Skaggs bluegrass album to work the other week...I kept muting it when I answered the phone because I thought it sounded too upbeat and raucous for church work. It's not like there's language or even a whiff of a suggestive theme on the album...I just feel like this place is a serious place, you know, where GOD'S WORK gets done. Don't want anybody thinking I'm having a party here. Is there something wrong with me? I've considered bringing Ray Charles, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, and the like into church...but always stopped short. Would people really get all that mad if they heard "Georgia On My Mind" playing when they came in the office?

Maybe it's precedence. Every pastor I have ever worked with who has listened to music in his/her office (that I know about) has listened to one of two things: Gospel music/hymns or Public Radio. I like both of these things...I really do...but I guess I just find myself wanting something else when I work.

And so...these are the things that crawl into my mind and don't leave. I have things to do, plan, and write...but instead I am trying to analyze my inability to bring jazz or vocal music to the church office and what that tells me about my theology of the pastoral office. I have come to the following conclusion: I have a hard time imagining all the pastoral expectations that I have clogged in my brain (those short films: "Pastor prays for 6 hours straight" and "Pastor debates taking a nap, curses sloth, gets back to work") played to a soundtrack of "The Boss Brass: Live in Digital" or Tom Petty's "Highway Companion"...it just doesn't work.

I'm guess that I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it means to be a pastor...how much I have to listen to those expectations and how much I need to back off from them before expectations overshadow the reality of who I am. It is, in a way, like the times I feel guilty when somebody finds out that I'm a pastor when I'm walking around town without two-day stubble and an old ball cap on a Saturday. I want to be the pastor...but I want to be Scott, too.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what I need to embrace and change in order to be both.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mad at the paperboy! Mad at the paperboy!"

In my office rotation:
Bela Fleck - "Songs from the acoustic planet"
Keith Jarrett - "At the Blue Note"
Sting - "Songs from the Labyrinth"
Iron & Wine - various
Joshua Radin - "We were here"
Shawn Colvin - These Four Walls"
Sara Groves - "Add to the Beauty"
Girlyman - "Remember who I am"
David Gray - "White Ladder", "Life in Slow Motion"
Aqualung - "Strange and Beautiful"
Gomez - "How we operate"

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott
I solved the problem with a dock for my XM radio receiver. Channel 113 - Classical Pops. Never grows stale..breaks the quiet.... solid background fare. But I also have a WIDE range of commercial free options ranging from 50/60s country (if I'm feeling TOO good!) to classic blues to jazz. Works for me!
I hope all your snow has melted.
Is it August yet?

Anonymous said...

Let me help you with this conundrum: play the fun music. That the church is a SERIOUS place need not mean that Beethoven has to rule the study. Part of who you are is your eclectic and very intelligent taste in music, and it is you, after all, who that church called as their pastor.

Scott said...

Well, there it is. Mark the calendar. April 30th represents the first Screeching Weasel reference on the blog. Congrats!

Terry...the snow has melted and it has been a balmy 84 here the past few days. Gotta love CO. August is double-circled on the calendar.

Thanks, NPH. Brought B.B. King in this morning...the sermon is not coming along and "Nobody Loves Me But My Mother" seemed appropriate.

jewett said...

I have already downloaded many of my CDs onto my office computer, mainly jazz and Christian artists. But I also use pandora.com which enables me to create as many "stations" as I want based on my stated listening requests. I have a John Mayer station that keeps me somewhat up to date with the "kids" by playing popular rock that I can stand, and another for the Brand New Heavies which seems to placate my needs for funk. And I can bookmark songs I like and others I don't. It never plays them again.

Ultimately, I am who God created me to be, my musical tastes notwithstanding. Play what you like. Are there CDs in my collection I wouldn't play in front of my parishioners? If so, I should probably consider not playing them in front of me too.

What about movies? I love "The Committments" about an Irish soul band, but it is full of profanity, sex and violence. Can I commend it to my parishioners? Should I admit I watch "R" movies? Am I becoming my parents?

All of the above simply serves to continue the conversation about what it really means to having Christ living in us (Galatians 2:20). Do we disappear as Christ takes over, or do we become more fully who God created us to be? I am hoping it is the latter. But I acknowledge too that who I'm created to be might not look quite like who I've been. Thank God for that! The truth sets you free for a life of obedient service to the Lord. The truth does not nullify your character, personality or inherent "Scottness."

jewett said...

I forgot to mention that I have been reading and rereading Philippians 4:8 and am attempting not only to think about what is excellent or praiseworthy but not to think about what is lame or unworthy of praise. Maybe that could be the standard for what is appropriate music for the pastor's office rather than some standard linked to your identity as a pastor. Is the music excellent? Play it. Is it lame? Strive for silence.

Anonymous said...

I hope the Screeching Weasel reference sent Sprite through your nose.

I totally get the "free to be you and me" issue. For me it was whether or not I could get away with jeans, sandals and earrings. Fortunately, that's what I was wearing when they interviewed me. It seems like, as long as I'm appropriately attired on Sunday AM, they're fine.

NPH is right, the reminder that "I am the person they called - idiosyncrasies and all" can not be repeated enough.

stephanie said...

... how is it I knew this post would have a Neil Young reference?

B. Hartmann said...

Thank you for the grand nod to Rob McConnell and his freaky Canadian Brass Masters. Put in that disc, set Track 1 on repeat and turn it up, my friend. It is time that the good Presbyterians of Berthoud know that T.O. stands for much, much more than a trouble-maker who plays for the Dallas Cowboys. And if the secretary won't dance to Squib Cakes, check for a pulse.

On a note more in-line with your dilema, I, too, am one who works best with a life-soundtrack that ranges from Respighi to Parliment Funkadelic to Feynman's recorded lectures on quantum electrodynamics.

The other folks here in the lab are notorious about clutching on to a radio station until it drives us all batty. Currently, they have the tuning dial glued down on a contemporary Christian station with what seems like a 15 song rotation. I caught myself singing a spiritually uplifting but annoying songs in my sleep last night.

I have found that my iPod travels just about everywhere with me these days. Not just the hours at the lab go faster with a good selection of music but navigating the supermarket and standing in line at the bank are not a chore at all with music.

In short, if it lifts you spirit, be it a Bach prelude or a live recording of "The Way It Is", play it. Except for perhaps TuPac...he might be better left at home.

Scott said...

I'm going to have a T-Shirt made that says, in bold black print: "Stop Messing With My Inherent Scottness!!" But that may create a Scottness Monster (cue Terry on the trap set).

Thanks, Jewett, for the insight...I learned that lesson the hard way when a parishoner went to, and hated, "About Schmidt" because I used it for a sermon illustration. I'm still wrestling with what it means to be a pastor in the entertainment realm. I know one thing for sure..."Batman and Robin" tells us nothing at all about God.

Mr. Hartmann...I'm sitting here in my office typing on a computer from the Bronze Age and a printer the size of Newark. I think bringing an IPod into the office (much less Terry's XM) would interact with this technology and create a time warp transporting me back to approximately 1924. The theraputic elements of "T.O." and the Doobie Brothers are well-documented...and always bring back memories of excellent times.

Steph...Brother Neil represents the prefect example for this conundrum. If you put on "Old Laughing Lady" in the office, 50% of the people ask, "What is this junk?" The other half ask, "Where I can I buy this junk?" But, divisive as he may be, he is, as you know, near and dear to my heart.

Now all I need is a little Envoy, baby!!

Anonymous said...

Ba-dump bump! (cymbal!)

Anonymous said...

I remember using "Field of Dreams" as a sermon illustration, refering to it as one of my favorite movies (something about an Iowa/heaven connection!) and I had a copy of the video on my desk the next day.
The next Sunday I refered to the BMW as my favorite auto.....NUTHIN!

Anonymous said...

Next time I come to visit, I want "Papa Don't Take No Mess" blaring out of the Rev. Phillips' office.

Having worked in several churches and Christian environments, this is a tricky one. I agree with a whole lot of what's been said here. I can also remember the day when I realized that pastors are "regular folks" like the rest of us - they see movies, like some secular books, and (gasp) even listen to some non-Christian music. It was honestly one of the most liberating moments in my life. So yes, you do need to weigh what you are putting out there as a pastor, but remember that it's also good for your congregation to know that you're human.

And for what it's worth, Clay Aiken and Josh Groban very seldom offend anyone... (tee hee).

Marcy

Scott said...

They offend me.

And, I would think, Almighty God.

Anonymous said...

I think it was Ben Franklin who said, "Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Similarly, I believe that "El Scorcho" is proof that God wants us to shake it every now and then.

stephanie said...

I was gonna let the Envoy comment slide... but alas...

I'm laughing on the inside and you won't know why for a few days. Hee hee.