June 1, 2007

Getting "Tagged": Random Stuff About Me

I recently received the web equivalent of a chain letter...a.k.a. I was "tagged" to share 8 things about myself on this blog. I have hemmed and hawed about whether to actually do it or not...and I have decided to participate without passing said "tag" on to 8 people (per the instructions). This gives me a nice halfway point. I am, in fact, recognizing and responding to the wishes of a friend while at the same time avoiding burdening 8 of my friends to do the same. So, without further ado, the "tag" disclaimer (the rules):

1) I have to post these rules before I give you the facts.
2) Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
3) People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
4) At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
5) Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
6) Don't tell anyone about Fight Club.

I added that last one myself. Anyway...here are the 8 random topics and some even more random comments on them.

Food: When it all shakes out, give me pizza. Sure, I like other food. I like to cook, love eating Julie's food, love eating out. But at the end of the day, there is nothing better than something that is delivered to your house, is covered in cheese, requires no utensils, and often has absolutely no nutritional value. Make it a deep dish Chicago-style pizza from Giordano's and, hey, I'm in heaven. Runner up: The Johnny Cash Ring-Of-Fire Burger at a local eatery. Buffalo sauce, jalapenos, and blue cheese on a 1/3 pound burger. Appropriately named because it is the gastrointestinal equivalent of doing a concert at Folsom prison: risky, but worth it. Walk the line, baby...walk the line.

Family: Yes, I have one. I love them all very much. Dad, Mom, my two sisters and their families, and (of course) the woman who keeps me afloat, Julie. I'm also quite fond of my extended family on both sides and have had some really great times with my aunts, uncles, cousins, and the like. I fancy myself a pretty good Son-In-Law, too...I like spending time with Julie's folks and all her New Zealand extended family. And I would be remiss, of course, unless I mentioned Shadow, our beloved dog who is now climbing fences in the great beyond (and hopefully getting walked more than once a month.)

Exercise: Yeah. I get on the elliptical trainer (a.k.a. "The Suicide Machine") every once and while, but I am afraid that I'm one of those strange people who doesn't like discomfort. I'm still looking for a way to make staying in shape fun again. I used to play pick-up basketball, football, and ultimate Frisbee in college. The only way I can play those now are in Rec Leagues filled with people who take it considerably more seriously than I do. I'm going to try running again here soon. Stop laughing. Don't make me come over there.

Profession: I am the King of the Diamond! Oh...wait...I get it. Presbyterian Pastor.

Obsession: Probably high on this list would be the James Bond movies, along with my life-long vision of designing, financing, and the building a corkscrew-shaped building. You think I'm kidding, don't you? Oh, and one other thing. Every time this clip comes on TV, I must stop and watch:

There is amusing, there is very funny...and then there is "Kneel Before Zod!"

Faith: See: Profession. I try to do the best that I can to love the Lord, my God, with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength and my neighbor as myself...and I try to make sure that everyone knows that I am broken...but healed every day in God through Christ.

Ailments: For all the exercising I do, you'd think there would be quite a few, but other than male-pattern-hair-recession, a still-growing mid-section, and a strange friend nicknamed "Hambone," well...I'm doin' OK.

Games: I love to play games with family and friends. I've already mentioned my affinity of sports, but I also love board games. Whether it be dominoes with Mom and Dad, Cranium with the larger family, Settlers of Catan with Julie, Texas Hold-'Em with friends, Rail Baron, Pinochle, Pitch, Hearts, 500, or PS2 on my own...I like a good game. A handful of game moments stick out in my mind, though (along with code names):
--Two-on-two basketball outside in the middle of winter (The "Frozen Tundra" series)
--Playing basketball in the old Heartwell gym (The night of the "Dog Pound")
--Playing pitch all the way home from skiing ("Paycheck")
--Playing Tecmo Bowl on Campbell 2nd North (The quest for the Neirmann Memorial Trophy)
--Bowling on East Campus (No ball over 4 pounds please)
--Cranium with my family (The "It's A Small Nose, After All" incident)
--Going all-in blind when a certain line was uttered (see: above) while playing Hold 'Em (The "Zod Hand")
--Playing multi-tap video games in seminary ("Day-lo")

Good times...every last one of them.

Well, there it is. I'm not passing this on, but I hope you've learned a little something about me. Something, that is, other than the fact that I'm a cop-out artist.

4 comments:

Jerilyn Whitsitt said...

I'm offended that you didn't mention the hours of chess played with the Brothers Matthews in the ACT 1 van... while Laura and I were whining that you guys never wanted to play with us.

Off the subject, have you read "Open Secrets"? A memoir about a Lutheran (I think) minister's first call... if you've not, stop what you're doing right now and ORDER IT. You have expense accounts for books, right? Get it. Now.

Scott said...

Jer,

I forgot about the Summer of Chess Obsession!! How could I forget about that!? Nothin better than a Josta-enduced haze of pawns, bishops, and rooks!!! Good times.

"Open Secrets" is one of my favorites...what an excellent book. I read in it seminary, and I've already recommended it twice here to new pastors. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

"I've already recommended it twice here to new pastors..."

Ummm... and you are...???

Marcy (so evil)

Scott said...

OTHER new pastors...or, perhaps, FELLOW new pastors.

Geeze.

What, do have a major in Engligh or something?