January 31, 2007

I'll Be Home For Ditka


Something interesting has happened over the past week. Julie is flying out to California tomorrow to attend a friend's baby shower and will be out in CA until the end of next week. I had planned on a general response when this was "made public." Men probably know what I'm talking about...the "Look who's the bachelor!" and "Can I get you the number for Pizza Hut!?" comments. Instead, I have heard a few comments along the lines of:
"Oh...You're going to be alone for the Super Bowl?"
And these comments are made in the same tone of "You're going to be alone for Christmas?"

The crazy thing is...I didn't find this strange at first. Julie and I already thought of this. We were a little bummed out when we realized that we couldn't watch the Super Bowl together. We even thought about rearranging her schedule to make it happen. But it dawned on me yesterday as I was receiving invitations and/or sympathy because I have to watch a football game by myself how truly strange it is that the Super Bowl has morphed into a quasi-holiday. I have no problem with this...I've enjoyed several Super Bowl parties I have been to/hosted...but I find it interesting that it has become such a capital-E Event.

One of my favorite Super Bowls was when the Rev. Dr. Tim James and I pulled our recliners up close to the TV, ordered enough pizza to kill Elvis, and enjoyed the Rams and Titans playing miserable football for three quarters followed by a great finish. In other words, we did what we usually did when we watched a football game. We made sarcastic comments about the commercials, we talked about the football game, and we ate a whole heckuva lot of pizza. We didn't decorate, we didn't feel the need to blow 200 bucks on a party sub...we just watched the game. I enjoy big, elaborate Super Bowl parties...but I guess what I'm discovering is that I don't find them essential.

I guess I'm just perplexed about why I seem to be the only one. Why do I feel a bit of guilt for wanting to sit around in my pajamas and watch football? Granted, it's the high holy day of football, food, and commercials...

Oh wait...I guess, these days, that does make it another Christmas (or at least Thanksgiving).

Anyway...I'm taking this one off. Coming off of a two day Presbytery meeting in Sidney, Nebraska and the aforementioned "Scout Sunday," I think that I'm going to sit around in my pajamas and just watch a football game. I'm going to call some of my friends. I'm going to root for the Sons of Ditka. And, believe it or not, I'm going to enjoy myself...and watch some football. Guilt-free. Because really, at the end of the day, it's not like it's Christmas....at least not until (hopefully) Peyton Manning starts handing out presents to the Bears defense.

3 comments:

Tim James said...

Ah the memories...

Nothing beats the Man-Eating Shanty football non-days. Where the Pizza flowed like so much flavored cardboard, the sarcasm and cynicism reached lofty heights, and we learned that Miami State was actually home of the Gators.

Good luck enjoying the game all 'Old School' and I can't wait to hear how the congregation reacts to your wearing of the PJs to service. (those might help keep the kids' attention)

Tim "Da Bears" James

Anonymous said...

All I keep envisioning is you, after consuming mass quantities of bachelor food, giving yourself a Chris Farley-style chest-thumping while screaming "Ditka!"

Maybe I should have gotten you a barbeque sauce IV for Christmas...

Marcy
(Can't get stupid Google account to recognize me, but I'm not taking it personally.)

stephanie said...

I think it's a Colorado thing to make the Super Bowl a holiday. I lived there when the Broncos won the Supper bowl in 1998. That was a crazy day.